Ingredients for Cauliflower With Cheese Recipe
- 1 cauliflower, washed, separated into florets (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/4 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower florets and bring back to a boil.
- Simmer for 8 to 12 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring with a wire whisk, for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and mustard and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens and simmers.
- Add the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Stir in the drained cauliflower and turn into a 9" square metal baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Broil the cauliflower and cheese mixture 6" from the heat source for 1 to 2 minutes or until the top starts to brown.
- Serve immediately.
Variations and Tips
- You can buy cauliflower that is already separated into florets at most grocery stores.
- Other cheeses can be substituted for the Swiss cheese in this recipe. Try using Colby, Cheddar, provolone, or Monterey Jack cheese.
- This is a great side dish to serve along with roast chicken or a grilled steak.
- Omit the mustard for a milder dish.