When cooking with poultry, nothing beats a cashew chicken recipe. Cashews are meaty, taste delicious, and can add extra flavor to a typical Chinese meal.
Ingredients for Cashew Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breast halves, boned and skinned
- 1/2 pound of Chinese pea pods
- 1/2 pound of fresh Chinese mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, minced
- 2 cups of bamboo shoots, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup of chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 4 ounces of cashew nuts
- Slice chicken breast into very thin slices and cut them into squares.
- Place on a plate and set aside.
- Slice the vegetables.
- Place on a separate plate and set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the cashews.
- Fry for a minute.
- Shake the pan as you fry so that the nuts are lightly toasted.
- Place nuts on a plate.
- Add more oil to pan.
- Stir fry chicken until it looks clear.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add pea pods and mushrooms.
- Slowly pour in the soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, salt mixture.
- Add the broth.
- Cover and cook until thickened, stirring often.
- Simmer uncovered for two minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add green onions and nuts and serve immediately with steamed rice or use a recipe for Japanese rice.
- Serves four.
Cashew Chicken with Broccoli
Another variation of this Chinese cashew dish can be made with broccoli.
- 1 pound of skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated, peeled ginger root
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 cup of broccoli flowerets
- 1 cup of whole cashews, toasted
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil
- Place the cubed chicken in a bowl.
- Mix the cornstarch and ginger root.
- Set aside.
- Combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- Stir until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Pour the oil into a wok or pan and place the pan over high heat.
- Add the garlic.
- Stir it quickly and do not let it burn.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil.
- Continue stirring until the chicken is almost done, about three minutes.
- Remove and discard the garlic.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture.
- Blend the ingredients well.
- Add the cornstarch and ginger root mixture.
- Coat the chicken.
- Add the broccoli flowerets.
- Stir well.
- Add the cashew nuts and stir another 30 seconds.
- Drizzle with sesame seed oil.
- Serve immediately with hot rice.
Other Recipes with Cashews
Now that you know how to make a cashew chicken recipe, search for other recipes that include cashews as one of their main ingredients. Shrimp and beef are delicious with cashews as well.