Ingredients for Caramel Sauce
- 1-1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt and mix well.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add to the sugar mixture.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the butter melts.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes.
- When the mixture looks like caramel, it's done!
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Let the sauce cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- When the caramel is cool, place in a jar with a secure lid. Store in the refrigerator.
Yields 2 cups
Variations and Tips
- Be careful with this sauce; caramel can burn easily.
- For salted caramel sauce, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the recipe.
- For a thicker sauce, use all brown sugar and omit the granulated sugar.
- The sauce will get very thick in the fridge. To use, spoon out the amount you want and heat it in a small pan over low heat, or microwave the sauce for 30 seconds on 50% power.
- Serve this sauce over ice cream, or drizzle it over pound cake.