Ingredients for Brown Sauce Recipe 4
- 1 cup stock
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Cook the flour and butter together until brown, stirring briskly.
- Add the stock, a spoonful at a time, stirring or beating constantly to prevent lumping.
- As soon as it has boiled, strain and serve with meat or vegetables.
- Used as a base with the addition of some other ingredients, this may be the principal part of several meat or fish sauces.
- If not dark enough, add a little dark roux until it is the desired color.