Ingredients for Brown Mushroom Gravy
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup red wine, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, if desired
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are browned and have given up their liquid.
- Remove the mushrooms from the butter with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the flour to the butter remaining in the saucepan and stir. Continue cooking over medium heat until the flour turns light brown. This will take about 10 minutes, but watch the mixture carefully so the flour doesn't burn.
- When the flour is browned, add the beef stock and wine, if using, and stir with a wire whisk. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- When the sauce has thickened slightly, add the reserved mushrooms, salt, and paprika, if using, and stir gently with a wooden spoon.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Season with additional salt and paprika before serving.
Yield: 2 cups
Variations and Tips
- To keep this sauce warm, put it into the top of a double boiler and place over hot, not simmering, water. Cover the sauce to keep warm up to 30 minutes.
- Add onion to this sauce for more flavor. Add 1 medium minced onion to the butter before you add the mushrooms, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve this sauce over grilled steak or pork.