Ingredients for Boiled Turnips Recipe
- 1 pound of turnips
- Water (amount varies based on size of pot)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Butter, optional, to taste
- Pepper, optional, to taste
- Peel the turnips.
- Cut them into squares of approximately 1/2-inch each.
- Fill a large saucepan or medium stock pot with water and bring to a boil, leaving room to add cut turnips without overflowing.
- Place turnips in water.
- Add salt.
- Boil turnips 25 - 30 minutes, or until tender. The larger the chunks, the longer it will take.
- Top with butter, if desired.
- Sprinkle with pepper, if desired.
Note: Additional spices, like bay leaves, basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, or garlic, may be added to cooking water if desired. Toppings like bacon or groats (pictured here) may be added to finished dish.