Ingredients for Boiled Celery Recipe
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put the cut celery into a saucepan and add enough water to cover, about 6 cups.
- Bring water to boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to medium-high.
- Cook uncovered for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the celery is tender when pricked with a fork. Test the celery at the 5 minute mark, as you don't want to overcook it and make it mushy.
- When done, drain the celery in a colander and set it aside in a hot serving dish while you prepare the dressing.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings, and beat well with a wire whisk.
- Drizzle the dressing over the hot celery and toss gently to coat.
- Serve as a side dish with meat or poultry.
- Add 1 teaspoon dill weed to the cooking water for the celery. Prepare the dressing as directed above and garnish with fresh dill.
- Use 1 cup roughly chopped onion to replace 1 cup of the celery. Prepare as above.
- Use vegetable, chicken or beef broth instead of water to cook the celery and then prepare as directed.