Birthday cake recipes come in many varieties from the traditional yellow cake to the most decadent chocolate cakes.
A Special Cake for a Special Day
Birthdays are a great reason to have a party. While most grocery stores will sell you a cake, and that's a great time saving option if you are planning a very large party, it is infinitely more fun to make the cake yourself. Birthdays were made for indulgence and birthday cake is the one treat intended to fulfill that indulgence. Any cake recipe can be made into a birthday cake just by writing "Happy Birthday" on it, but I have always believed that birthday cake recipes were for the richest cakes imaginable.
Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- ½ cup of boiling water
- 2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (three sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and set a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Butter and flour 2 9x2 inch round pans.
- Whisk together the cocoa and the boiling water.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your stand mixer with the paddle attachment and the speed set to medium, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, waiting until the first egg is fully incorporated before adding the second egg.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the flour and the sour cream in alternating thirds.
- Add the cocoa powder mixture.
- Pour half of the batter into each of the pans.
- Bake the cakes for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely on a rack.
- Frost the cakes with your favorite frosting, creating a two-layer cake.
- Don't forget to write happy birthday on the cake.
Decorating the Cake
Looking for a more special touch than a simple "Happy Birthday"? Try one of these ideas:
- Decorate your cake with borders, candied flowers, and decorative frosting.
- Use edible flowers in complementary colors.
- Make cupcakes in a matching color and design and arrange them around the cake, your guests can take them home as edible favors.