Ingredients for Basic Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- Mix dry ingredients, sift twice, work in butter with tips of fingers, and add milk gradually.
- Toss on floured board, divide in two parts.
- Pat, roll out, and bake twelve minutes in a hot oven in buttered Washington pie or round layer cake tins.
- Split, and spread with butter.
- Sweeten strawberries to taste, place on back of range until warmed, crush slightly, and put between and on top of Short Cakes; cover top with Cream Sauce I.