Ingredients for Basic Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ¾ cup liquid (all milk or half milk and half water)
- Mix dry ingredients and sift twice.
- Work in fat with fingertips or cut in with two knives.
- Add the liquid gradually, mixing with a knife in a soft dough.
- Toss on a floured board, pat, and roll lightly to one-half inch in thickness.
- Shape with a biscuit cutter.
- Bake in hot oven (450-460 degrees F.) twelve to fifteen minutes.
- Use the recipe above but use more liquid to make the dough soft enough to drop from the spoon.
- The amount of the liquid in most cases will be just half the amount of flour (two cups of flour to one cup liquid).
- Drop the biscuit on to a well-greased pan, or bake in greased muffin tins, in a hot oven (450-460 degrees F.).