Ingredients for Baking Powder Biscuit Recipe 1
- 2 cups of sifted pastry flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons shortening
- 4 level teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ to 2/3 cup of milk or water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Pass the flour, salt, and baking powder through a sieve three times.
- With a knife or fingertips, work in the shortening.
- Add the water or milk a little at a time, mixing it with a knife to a soft dough.
- Place the dough on a floured board, turn it with the knife until lightly floured, then knead with the hands slightly to get it into a smooth mass.
- Pat with a rolling pin and roll into a sheet about three-fourths an inch thick.
- Cut into rounds and set these close together in a buttered pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.