Ingredients for Authentic Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 quart strawberries
- Hull the berries, sweeten and mash them slightly with a spoon, and stand aside.
- Sift the salt and baking powder with the flour and cut in the butter; add sufficient milk to make a dough, stirring with a fork.
- Mix quickly, and put it at once in a greased baking pan, and bake in a quick oven thirty minutes.
- When done, cut the crust with a knife and pull open the cake.
- Spread it thickly with butter, and put in the berries, reserving some for the top.
- Put on the crust, cover the top with the remaining berries, dust with powdered sugar, and serve with whipped cream.